Monday, August 11, 2008

The Gospel of John - Part 14

Part 14 encompasses all of chapter 14, all of chapter 15 and the beginning of chapter 16. There is a lot of theology in this section. Jesus has much to say about Himself and the Helper He is sending - the Holy Spirit.

Chapter 14

This chapter starts off with Jesus telling the disciples that He is the only way to heaven. This one statement alone is what makes Christianity so exclusive. It is why the world, with its self righteous doctrine of tolerance, hates Christians and calls us narrow minded. In verse 6 Jesus says, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Unfortunately many in the church today feel that since we are in the new covenant we don't have to worry about God's laws anymore. But Jesus disagrees as he says in verse 15, "If you love me , you will keep my commandments." So we are to keep His commandments, not to gain salvation, but if we are saved and truly love the Lord our desire should be to obey His word.

Chapter 15

In this very important chapter, Jesus makes another of His "I AM" statements. Here, in verse 5 He says, "I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Then in verse 12, Jesus reiterates His great commandment, for us to love one another.
We also see a bit of the doctrine of election here in verses 18-20 when Jesus tells His disciples, "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you; 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours."

Truly some great teaching from our Lord in this portion of Scripture.

Enjoy

Rob


He goes on to tell them that they will be persecuted saying

No comments:

Post a Comment